Rogier studied Dutch Civil Law and Public International Law at Leiden University, and International Commercial Arbitration during a semester at Monash University (Melbourne). During his student years Rogier was actively involved in debating tournaments at home and abroad. In 2011 he won the Oxford Intervarsity Debating Competition, and in 2012 and 2013 Rogier was a Grand Finalist in the World Universities Debating Championship and ranked in the top ten best speakers, in the English as second language category.
After completing his studies, Rogier gained experience as a paralegal at a law firm specialising in international trade-, transport- and liability law. Since 2017 he is attached to Nyenrode Business University as a guest lecturer, and lectures in the courses Introduction into Law, Contract Law, and Law & Ethics.
Rogier was sworn in as a lawyer in 2018.
Rogier litigates and advises in the field of transport law, in particular maritime and inland shipping law. He is particularly interested in shipping accidents (especially collisions) and limitation proceedings, as well as private international law.
- Dutch Society for Transport Law
- Telders Society for International Law
- The Young Bar Association of Rotterdam, committee Anglo-Dutch Exchange 2020
- B.Jansen and R.I.C. Baart, ‘Am I my leg, do I have my leg, where’s my leg?’, Ars Aequi January 2020, 9.
- R.I.C. Baart, opinion on the decision of the Court of Rotterdam of 9 November 2018, ECLI:NL:RBROT:2018:9174, TVR 2019, 3 (“Bow Jubail”).
- R.I.C. Baart, R. de Jong and L. Kirch, ‘Some legal comments on the MSC Zoë container disaster’, Juridisch up to Date, Article number: 2019, 0013.
- R.I.C. Baart, ‘Circumventing limited liability in passenger transport’, Juridisch up to Date, Article number: 2018, 0133.
- B.Jansen and R.I.C. Baart, ‘Who owns my amputated leg?’, Dutch Journal of Medicine, Article number: 2018, 162:D2301.
Rogier Baart staat in het rechtsgebiedenregister van de Nederlandse Orde van Advocaten met de volgende hoofd- (en sub) rechtsgebieden geregistreerd: Transport- en handelsrecht en Burgerlijk procesrecht (Litigation). Op grond van deze registratie is hij verplicht elk kalenderjaar volgens de normen van de Nederlandse Orde van Advocaten tien opleidingspunten te behalen op ieder geregistreerd hoofdrechtsgebied.